Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Ash Wednesday

Today is Ash Wednesday, which marks the beginning of the Lenten season, 40 days before Easter, if you do not count Sundays.  Basically this is a season of fasting before Easter.  Not all Christians observe Lent, but you will surely know the ones who have been to an Ash Wednesday service because they have the mark of the cross in ashes on their forehead.
Modern day "fasting" for most of us Christians is not rationing out food, but rather utilizing self-discipline by giving up something (a particular food or drink or bad habit).  So for me this means no more soft drinks until Easter! Technically, the Sundays of the Lenten season don't count, otherwise Lent would be more like 46 days than 40.  So some Lenten observers can have or do what they gave up, but only on Sundays.
I chose to give up soft drinks because I have become addicted to caffeine and the amount of sugar in soft drinks.  I know soft drinks are not good for me and I have become too reliant on them to get me moving in the morning and to keep me awake during the day, especially with a little one in the house!  So for me, Sundays are not free pass days to drink soft drinks.  Otherwise, I will start to loathe each Monday until Easter!
I was very tempted this morning to choose something else to give up for Lent.  I was up with the baby several times last night, so the Coke in my refrigerator this morning looked wonderful!  I actually got the Coke out and a glass and tried to open the Coke bottle, but the cap wouldn't budge.  I started to run some hot water in the sink to run over the bottle cap to help break the pressure seal, and then I decided I was going to be strong and resist the urge.  I put the Coke back in the refrigerator as I thought about all the sacrifices Jesus made for me.  He gave up his life for me.  The least I could do was give up soft drinks!
Also, I am starting a new personal growth book in conjunction with Lent.  I bought the book The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren a few weeks ago and found out that it is a 40 day spiritual journey. The author even mentions the significance of 40 days in various stories of the Bible.  So I thought it was very fitting for the Lenten season, even though that was not mentioned in the book!  I will be reading a chapter a day everyday except Sunday.  So I should know my life's purpose by Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment